Since it was formed in 1997, MICT has brought in well over £5 million of funding for community projects on the islands. Without the Community Trust securing these funds, this money would have been distributed elsewhere, with Mull and Iona reaping no benefit. The Community Trust offers employment and volunteering opportunities within a fragile rural economy.
MICT is pleased to be able to provide direct benefit to the community through the surpluses we are able to distribute from MESS Island Castaway Charity Shops and the Mull Eagle Watch. Since 2006, over £28,300 has been awarded to community groups through the MESS Funds MESS Funds Recipients Oct 2013 and over £41,500 has been awarded to community groups through the Sea eagle Funds SE Recipients – Oct 2013 .
If you belong to a community group or local organisation or local project on the islands of Mull, Iona, Ulva or Erraid and would like to apply for funds (maximum £500), please print off and return a MESS funds application form or Sea Eagle application form to: MICT, An Roth Community Enterprise Centre, Craignure, Isle of Mull, PA6 5 6AY.
Through the ongoing projects many more benefits to the community have arisen:
- MESS has diverted over 422 tonnes of waste from the local landfill site outside Tobermory
- The MESS Project provided all households with a free jute shopping bag
- MESS helped facilitate the kerb side recycling scheme
- The new Enterprise Centre, An Roth, will provide a resource library
- An Roth provides space to rent for all in a central island location
- The Community Trust has helped to facilitate week long festivals promoting Island Produce and Wildlife on Mull